• +61 3 9642 1667

Work Entitlement

Permission to Work – Students

You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia. When your course has commenced you can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during the term and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

  • Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.
  • If you are doing voluntary, unpaid work, it is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight if it:
    • Is of benefit to the community
    • Is for a non-profit organisation
    • Would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position)
    • Is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received—board and lodging acceptable).
  • If you are a subclass 574 (Postgraduate research sector) student visa holder and you have commenced your masters by research or doctorate course in Australia, you have unlimited work rights.
  • You can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during any preliminary courses you undertake on a subclass 574 (Postgraduate research sector) student visa.
  • Example: ELICOS

    Permission to Work – Dependent family members

    Dependent family members:

    • Can work up to 40 hours per fortnight at all times
    • must not start work until the primary visa holder has commenced the course in Australia
    • have unlimited work rights if the primary visa holder has commenced a course towards a masters or doctorate degree and hold a subclass 573 (Higher education sector), 574 (Postgraduate research sector) or 576 (AusAID/Defence sector) student visa.

    Important: You must also comply with the State and Territory laws of Australia. Under all State and Territory laws, you cannot work during school hours if you are under the school leaving age, which in most states is 15 years of age.

    Read more on permission to work: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/permission-to-work-students.pdf


    Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement

    To be granted any student visa, applicants must satisfy the department that they have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement addresses whether the individual circumstances of an applicant indicate that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. A genuineness assessment is made by taking into account a number of personal factors relating to an applicant, such as their immigration history, circumstances that may encourage the applicant to return to their home country and conditions that might encourage the applicant to remain in Australia.
    The GTE requirement does not make it more difficult for genuine student visa applicants to obtain a visa. It does, however, provide a useful way to help identify those applicants who are using the student visa programme for motives other than gaining a quality education. The GTE requirement is also not designed to exclude those students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to obtain permanent residency

    Change of address

    Students must inform their education provider of their current residential address within seven days of arrival and of any change of address in Australia within seven days of the change. Students must also notify their current provider of any change of enrolment to a new provider.

    Family members

    Family members aged 18 years or over may only study for up to three months. If they want to undertake a course of study that exceeds three months, they must apply for a student visa in their own right. School-age family members, children aged 5–18 years, who join the student in Australia for more than three months must attend school. The student must meet any associated education or tuition costs for that child.
    A student’s child aged 18 years or over cannot apply for a student visa as a family member. If they want to study in Australia, they must apply for a student visa in their own right.


    Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

    The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that international students are able to either:

    • complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
    • receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees.

    Australia has a well established international education sector with over 1200 education providers delivering a high quality education to international students. For many years now Australia has been a world leader in protecting the tuition fees of international students studying in Australia on a student visa. Recent changes to the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act have further strengthened protections for international students through the introduction of the Tuition Protection Service (TPS)

    For further information please visit https://tps.gov.au/StaticContent/Get/StudentOverview


    Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

    As an International Student, it is a condition of your student visa that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC gives you access to out of hospital and in hospital medical services to help you maintain your health. This can be arranged by Danford College on behalf of students, should you choose to do so.

Leave a Comment

Contact us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Questions, issues or concerns? We'd love to help you!

Click ENTER to chat