Current students

Visa requirements

Applying for your student visa
You are required to get your student visa before travelling to Australia. Visas are issued by the Department of Immigration. The requirements of your visa differ for each country, as well as the level of study you intend to undertake. For further information, see

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
The GTE requirement ensures that student visas are used as intended (and not to maintain ongoing residency in Australia). This requirement applies to all student visa applicants. The visa officer takes into account your circumstances and your immigration history. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after study, go on to apply to become Australian permanent residents.

ESOS Framework
The Australian Government has put in place the ESOS Framework, which are laws that promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. The laws include the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2018. Danford College must fulfil the obligations set out in the ESOS Framework under the Act.

For full description of ESOS Framework, download the factsheet here:

Tuition Protection Service
The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that international students are able to either:

  • complete their studies in another course or with another education provider or
  • receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees

In the unlikely event your education provider is unable to deliver a course you have paid for and does not meet their obligations to either offer you an alternative course that you accept or pay you a refund of your unspent prepaid tuition fees (this is called a provider’s ‘default obligations’), the TPS will assist you in finding an alternative course or to get a refund if a
suitable alternative is not found.

For further information, please visit:

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
International students must have OSHC for the duration of their course, and OSHC costs must be paid before your student visa is issued. OSHC is health insurance that covers the cost of visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover, and some pharmaceuticals. For more information see or your OSHC provider. Danford College can help in arranging your OSHC.

Paid work in Australia
Australian immigration laws allow students to work for a limited number of hours while studying on a student visa. Currently, international students can work for 40 hours per fortnight during your study periods, and to work full-time during study breaks. Under no circumstances should students rely on income earned in Australia to pay tuition fees.

Bringing your family
As an international student, if you are bringing your family with you, you are required to enrol any school-age dependants in an Australian school, and pay any school fees that is applicable. In Victoria it is compulsory for children to attend school until the age of 16. People over the age of 16 can continue to attend school until they have completed year 12.

Please check first with the Australian Department of Education or an Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country, as there may be restrictions.

Further visa information
See the Australian Government immigration page for more information at

contact us


Enrol now in a Danford College course and launch into a brighter future.


A beautiful place to study