Visa requirements

Applying for your Student Visa

Students must obtain the appropriate Student Visa before travelling to Australia. Visas are issued by the Department of Home Affairs. Student Visa requirements differ for each country and depend on the level of study you intend to undertake.

For further information, visit

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement

The GTE requirement ensures that Student Visas are used as intended, which is to study rather than to extend residency in Australia. All Student Visa applications must submit the GTE requirement.

In reviewing your application, the Visa Officer takes into consideration your circumstances and immigration history. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after completing their studies, go on to apply for Australian permanent residency.

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework

The Australian Government has put in place the ESOS Legislative Framework, which are laws that promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. The laws include the ESOS Act 2000 and the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018. As an education provider, Danford College must fulfil its obligations as set out in the ESOS Framework. For a full description of the ESOS Framework, download the factsheet here.

Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. The TPS ensures that international students are able to either:

  • Complete their studies in another course or with another education provider; or
  • Receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees

If your education provider is unable to deliver a course you have paid for and does not meet its obligations to either offer you an alternative course that you accept or pay you a refund of your unspent prepaid tuition fees (this is called a provider’s ‘default obligations’), the TPS will assist you in finding an alternative course or getting a refund.

For further information, please visit:

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

OSHC is health insurance that covers the cost of visits to the doctor, selected hospital treatment, ambulance cover, and some pharmaceuticals. International students must have OSHC for the duration of their course, with costs fully paid before a Student Visa is issued. Danford College can assist you in arranging your OSHC.

For more information see or your OSHC provider.

Paid Work in Australia

International students may work for a limited number of hours whilst on a Student Visa. Currently, international students can work for a maximum of 48 hours per fortnight during study periods (study terms). However, international students may work full-time during study breaks.

Under no circumstances should students rely on income earned in Australia to pay for tuition fees.

For more information about visa conditions, click here.

Bringing Your Family

If you are an international student and planning to bring your family with you, you are required to enrol any school-age dependent in an Australian school and pay their school fees whilst they are in Australia.

In Victoria, children are required to attend school until the age of 17. Children must go to a school campus (or an approved alternative) until they finish Year 10. For more information, click here.

Check with the Australian Department of Education or an Australian Diplomatic Mission in your country as there may be specific restrictions.

Further visa information

See the Australian Government immigration page for more information at