Living & accommodation

Accommodation while living in Australia

Students must organise their own accommodation for the duration of their stay in Australia. We highly recommend that you organise your accommodation prior to arriving in Australia.

Where a family relative or friend can provide you with accommodation that is close to transport and/or accessible to Danford College, we encourage students to take this option.

Although Danford College may be able to assist you with accommodation services. The Student Support Officer can guide you with information about the types of accommodation before your arrival. In case you need to change your accommodation arrangements whilst in Australia, the Student Support Officer can also advise you on the steps that you can take.

It is important for you to consider both advantages and disadvantages for every type of accommodation and to choose one that best fits your goals, circumstances, and lifestyle.

Some of the types of accommodation available for students are listed and described below:

Home stay / Private Board
Students can live with a local Australian family, couple, or individual renting out a room in their own homes. Generally, your hosts will provide you with a furnished room and 2-3 meals per day.

Homestay providers select families to ensure that students experience the best way to settle into Australia and learn about Australian culture.

Various homestay providers operate in Australia and offer full board, or part board; or board in exchange. The cost may be within the range of AUD$170 – AUD$220 inclusive of bills (excluding Internet and telephone).

Private Leasing/Rentals
If you prefer a more independent lifestyle or more privacy, you can also choose to rent your own apartment or flat. You can also rent a house with friends (share house). Various options are available on the market, especially within the Melbourne CBD.

However, it may be relatively expensive if you choose to live by yourself and pay for rent, connection fees for utilities, and ongoing bills. Tenants are generally responsible for connection and usage of water, electricity, gas, telephone and internet.

The location of the property strongly affects the rental price of the property. Properties within the city centre may be more expensive than those in the suburbs.

It is important to familiarise yourself with the average rent cost within the various suburbs to maximise your rent.

Hostels & Guesthouses
Temporary accommodation arrangements are available from AUD$25 per day to AUD$400 per week. Prices depend on room capacity, facilities, meals, etc.

Bringing Your Family

Childcare services and centres are available throughout Melbourne although the waiting lists may be long. It is advisable to contact childcare centres that are located within your area.

Visit the website link below for more details about childcare centres, kindergartens, early learning centres, nannies, and babysitters:

The three main education providers in Victoria are the State government (1,613 schools), Independent schools (692 schools), and Catholic schools (484 schools). State government schools are also known as public schools or state schools, whilst non-government schools are collectively called private schools. In addition to school fees, you may also be required to purchase school uniforms, textbooks, and other items necessary for your child’s education.

For more information about Victoria’s education system, visit the Victorian Department of Education and Training Schools website. The website will provide you with information about Victorian schools, curriculums and programs, special features, and virtual tours of schools that you may be interested in.

If you find a school that suits your needs and preferences, you can enquire directly with the school or request an information package from the school.

Starting &  Finishing Age
Victorian state schools welcome enrolments for children who turn five (5) years old by 30 April of the year they start school. Most schools begin accepting enrolments in May for the following year.

Each private school has its own policy about starting age and enrolments. All Victorian children between the ages of 6 and 16 years old must attend school.

Schooling Levels
Children in Victoria attend one year in Prep; six years in Primary school (Year 1 to Year 6), and another six years in Secondary school (Year 7 to Year 12). Some schools offer a Pre-Prep year.

Most state schools do not combine Primary and Secondary schools, although many private schools do.

Religion & Gender
Whilst all Victorian state schools are non-denominational, most private schools have religious affiliations. There are also some private schools that are non-denominational.

Most Victorian state schools are co-educational, although some single-sex state schools exist at the secondary level. Co-educational and single-sex private schools also exist for both primary and secondary levels.

School Terms
For current term dates please visit:
For a full list of Victorian Public Holidays, visit:

Life in Australia 

The “Life in Australia” book provides information about Australian history, culture, and society. Students and visitors can also learn more about the values that Australian people share.

The book is available in various languages other than English and can be downloaded from Life in Australia book