Entry requirements

Age Requirement

To study at Danford College, all international students must be at least 18 years of age or above when the course starts.

Academic Requirements

Vocational Courses
All international students must meet a minimum academic requirement to gain admission to Danford College. Danford College requires the successful completion of studies equivalent to Australian Year 12 education as the minimum level of entry into our courses.

Post Graduate Programs
For entry into Post Graduate Programs you will need Year 12 and have completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma qualification in any fields of study (Both onshore or Offshore qualification), or have completed a Bachelor degree in any fields of study (Both onshore or Offshore qualification).

In some cases, if you do not meet the college academic entry-level requirements, you may apply as a mature age student. A mature age student is considered to be over 21 years old, who has been out of fulltime education for at least one year. You should also be able to provide documentary evidence of any work experience undertaken since leaving school that is related to your chosen course. Entry as a mature age student is also dependent upon having a satisfactory level of English language proficiency.

English Requirements

International students must provide evidence of English language proficiency to Danford College. Students must have a minimum score of an internationally recognised English test.

Vocational Courses
For most Vocational courses students are required to have a minimum IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) score of 5.5 overall with no band/sub score under 5.0 or equivalent English language tests as per accepted by the Department of Immigration.

Post Graduate Programs
For most Graduate Diploma courses students are required to have a minimum IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) score of 6.0 overall with no band/sub score under 5.5 or equivalent English language tests as per accepted by the Department of Immigration.

English language tests accepted by the Department of Home Affairs are listed below for your information.

IELTS International English Language Testing System
OET Occupational English Test
TOEFL iBT Test of English as a Foreign Language internet‐Based Test
PTE Academic Pearson Test of English
CAE Cambridge English: Advanced

An IELTS score or equivalent no more than two years old.

Alternative test scores benchmarked as against the IELTS band scale:

English Proficiency Test Course with IELTS 5.5 overall
no individual band less than 5.0
Course with IELTS 6.0 overall no individual band less than 5.5
International English Language Testing system (IELTS Test) 5.5 overall
individual bands: min 5.0 each module
6.0 overall individual bands: min 5.5 each module
Test of English as Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL IBT) 49 overall min score to:
Writing: 18
Speaking: 16
Reading: 8
Listening: 7
64 overall Min score to:
Writing: 21
Speaking: 18
Reading: 13
Listening: 12.
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test 162 overall individual bands: 154 169 overall individual bands: 162
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) 36 overall communicative skills: 36 46 overall communicative skills: 42
Occupational English Test (OET)  A score of at least B for each test component of the OET A score of at least B for each test component of the OET.

Circumstances where the IELTS requirement may be waived:

Academic transcripts showing that you have successfully completed at least 51% of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at Certificate IV level or higher as the holder of a student Visa not more than 2 years before your Visa application. This does not include foundation courses.


Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, completed in English in Australia in the last two years


Evidence of completion certificate for a Foundation Course in Australia in the last two years.


Evidence that you have completed at least five (5) years of study in English undertaken in one or more of the following countries: Australia – Canada – New Zealand – South Africa – the Republic of Ireland – the United Kingdom and the United States of America.


Provide evidence you have completed or have enrolled into an ELICOS or alternative English course as accepted by the Department of Home Affairs. Minimum requirement to enter into any of Danford College courses is “Upper Intermediate” or “Advanced”.


You are a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland.

Refer to the admission requirements for your country risk rating requirement.

More information available about which English language tests are accepted by the Home Affairs Department? https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/aelt

For countries classified Level 1 and Level 2 as per DHA (Department of Home Affairs).

Internal English Test

Note: We can ask you for evidence of your English language skills after you have submitted your application, at any time while we are processing your application, even though the Document Checklist Tool shows that you don’t need to provide evidence of your English language skill when you submit your application.

(Internal) English proficiency test online: TRACKTEST

TrackTest Online English Assessment Center or TrackTest is an online English language assessment tool launched in November 2012 that measures the English skills of non-native English speakers. The test is using the scale based on Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.